Friday, December 28, 2007

Alone with the Java


Well, I've decided to escape the chaos of my house for little while. I'm hiding out at the coffee shop down the street. There's something about coffee and people watching that inspires the muse in me. My mind is finally able to set aside the household chores and the kid's schedule and get into writing mode. The soft music and great smells help a lot too.
I'm supposed to be working on the outline for my next book, but I can't seem to get into it. I'm not an outline kind of author. I find that my characters and my story develop as I get further into the book. To say character X is going to do this and this and this feels unnatural. As I work on the outline I keep asking myself, how do I know the character is going to do this? I need to live with the characters a while and learn what motivates them. But I'm learning to be a bit more organized and to focus more on making each scene count. My books tend to be long. Too long. Although I did have someone once tell me that she bought my book because it was the thickest chick-lit book she'd seen. So I guess you never know.
Well, my coffee is almost gone and my outline is still bare. I'd better get a refill and get to work.
Ciao chicas,
Lara

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I was working on my outline yesterday, too! We must be in sync.

Have a Happy New Year!

Best,
Mary C.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Lara Rios said...

Dude, I suck at outlining. I'm just not that kind of writer. I don't know how authors know what's going to happen 15 chapters down the line. I can make a wild guess, but most likely by the time I get there, the characters will have taken me in a different direction. Do you find that too?

11:23 AM  
Blogger Caridad Pineiro said...

I'm joining you there with the suck at outlining and synopses. I'm a pantser and it's torture to write these things.

I wish I was there with you sharing that coffee amigas!

Caridad

5:58 AM  
Blogger Lara Rios said...

I wish you were here sharing a cup of coffee too! Are you planning a trip to the OC this year?

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home